Expected salary: $70000 – 75000 per year
Location: San Diego, CA
Job description: Company Description
Just east of the Pacific and slightly north of Expectation.
Welcome to Fairmont Grand Del Mar. An elegant tribute to classic Mediterranean estate, seamlessly fusing old-world charm with modern luxury. Here, an award-winning, Renaissance-inspired spa, critically acclaimed dining, exclusive boutique shopping and championship golf course.
Growth and advancement is not only available, it is actively encouraged. We promote a balanced life for our colleagues, continuously seeking new ways to improve our environment and to support our beautiful home of San Diego.
Rate of Pay: $70,000 – $75,000 Annual Salary
Oversee the overnight operations of the property. Ensure that the staff meets hotel standards for a memorable guest experience. Orchestrate and expedite the registration and checkout process. Act as the main contact for guests and other hotel departments.
15% Arrive at workplace on time in full uniform prepared with tools and all equipment needed for service. Review current day’s expected arrivals, ensure all rooms are ready and verify availability for the evening. Check in with all departments and pre-shift the colleagues about the evening’s events and verify which departments foresee higher business levels and when they may need assistance. Relay all pertinent information to the overnight staff, the following shift supervisor, Front Desk Manager, and all relevant areas in the rooms division.
35% Supervise, coach, and mentor the overnight staff ensuring the correct sequence of events for each job duty. Assign breaks and specific tasks relative to credit, missing addresses, completing reports for the next day, delivering newspapers, polishing shoes, assisting with arriving/departing guests and overall cleanliness and organization of the property. Complete all overnight reports, post room and tax to all rooms and ensure the daily packets are printed, posted and emailed. Complete all duties required to prepare for the next day. When observing the associates, ensure efficient guest registration, check out, and telephone service. Ensure that their duties are completed in accordance with established policies, procedures, and standards.
25 % Handle any guest challenges that may arise. Resolve any guest opportunity to ensure complete guest satisfaction. Then use opportunity as a training tool for the staff so the problem does not arise again. Create a welcoming environment for all guests and patrons; assure that all guests are acknowledged while in the lobby either verbally or visually (adhering to the 15-5 rule). Resolve guest and colleague concerns expeditiously in a manner, which is beneficial to all involved.
15% Conduct daily pre-shift meetings. Participate in ongoing training of associates for continued performance improvement. Recognize outstanding performance by service personnel and handle discipline as per standard operating procedures. Inspect associates’ uniforms and operational departmental areas for cleanliness and organization, correcting as necessary and communicate expectations of these areas to the staff.
10% Accept payment for guests’ accounts both at the time of registration and at checkout. Maintain a house bank and make a deposit and accurate report of receipts daily. Cash checks and exchange currency for guests.
In addition, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the Resort:
- Maintain a daily log of all guests’ opportunities with corrective action steps. Follow-up on any unresolved situations in a timely manner and pass on appropriate information to other Managers for handling.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Front Office Manager.
- When necessary, actively contribute to the successful operation of the resort by labeling, handling, and/or storing guest luggage or delivering guest items on request. Support bellman, doorman, valet, and concierge desk as needed.
This position is an overnight shift position, however, due to the fluctuation in business levels in the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the Resort. This may include other shifts, weekends and holidays. In addition, attendance is required at all scheduled training sessions and meetings.
All colleagues must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per The Grand Del Mar grooming standards.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with company rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the Resort’s facilities. Employees who violate Resort rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Qualifications and Skills:
- One-year hotel Front Office experience plus one year of supervisory experience required. Management experience preferred
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace
- High school or equivalent education required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Must possess basic computational ability
- Must possess basic computer skills
- Ability to supervise subordinate staff, including, but not limited to, assignment of duties, evaluating service and taking disciplinary action when necessary
- Ability to solve problems and make rational decisions
- Knowledge of Resort operations, its services, and facilities
- Working knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by Resort environmental systems
- Position requires walking and giving direction most of the working day; must be able to stand and exert well-paced mobility for up to 4 hours in length. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to reach different outlets and other departments of the Resort on a timely basis
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks
- Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We are an inclusive company and our ambition is to attract, recruit and promote diverse talent.
Fairmont Grand Del Mar is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Why work for Accor?
We are far more than a worldwide leader. We welcome you as you are and you can find a job and brand that matches your personality. We support you to grow and learn every day, making sure that work brings purpose to your life, so that during your journey with us, you can continue to explore Accor’s limitless possibilities.
By joining Accor, every chapter of your story is yours to write and together we can imagine tomorrow’s hospitality. Discover the life that awaits you at Accor, visit
Do what you love, care for the world, dare to challenge the status quo! #BELIMITLESS